A big trend at weddings the last few years is replacing wedding cakes with dessert bars. Wedding cakes are expensive and don't always taste great. Plus, most people won't stop to grab a slice to eat so you face the possibility of having tons of cake leftover. Here are some fun and easy alternatives to plain old wedding cake!
1. Mini Desserts: People love being able to just grab their desserts and head back to the dance floor. Mini (or bite size) goodies gives them this chance. This will also give you the option of having different varieties of desserts instead of just one thing. Some options include mini cupcakes, mini pies, mini cheesecakes and baby tarts.
2. Ice Cream: Ice cream is the best way to cool your guests down at a warm summer wedding. You can have your favorite ice cream shop cater or build your own ice cream bar. Pick out a a few of your favorite flavors, grab some fun toppings and let the guests build their perfect sundae!
3. Chocolate Covered Strawberries/Rice Krispies/Macaroons: Some other fun and cute alternatives for your guests to munch on. The strawberries can be dressed up a bride and groom. Macaroons come in all sorts of fun colors that you can match to your color scheme! Still want a cake? You can turn all of these desserts into a fun and original cake!
4. Smores: Who doesn't love roasting smores? Ask your caterer to help you set up a couple sternos and put together a smores bar with chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers. Your guests will have a blast custom making their own treats!
5. Traditional: A great way to celebrate you or your significant other's heritage is by serving a traditional dessert from their native land. Italian cannolis, Greek desserts like baklava, honey pie and loukoumades and croquembouche (a popular French dessert) are all unique options. Look up what each country would traditionally serve at a wedding or special occasion and then talk to your local bakery (or better yet, find a traditional bakery near you). Your guests will love trying something new all while celebrating your heritage.
6. Whoopie Pies/Ice Cream Sandwiches: Great grab and go desserts. They can be pre-made or the guests can choose their favorite cookies and pick the ice cream/cream filling and make their own!
7. Cake Pops/Pie Pops: Still want cake at the wedding but want something fun and different? Cake pops (or pie pops) are the perfect compromise. You can still have all your favorite flavors and give them cute designs, while your guests can enjoy a one bite dessert!
8. Bundt Cakes: Bundt cakes are the new, fun alternative to a traditional cake. They come in all shapes and sizes, including bite sized bundtinis. People go wild over these delicious desserts! Make sure to save some for yourself, because these will all be gone by the end of the night!
9. Pie: Cherry, strawberry, blueberry, lemon meringue, the possibilities are endless with pie! This dessert works great at a rustic location like a barn. They make mini pies also for easy eating. Make sure to calculate how many pies you will need with the amount of people coming (how many slices per pie) so you don't run into to many leftovers.
10. Donuts/Cronuts: The newest dessert trend happening at weddings and people are loving it! Make donut towers, donut cakes, pick your favorite flavors and toppings. There are tons of fun options for your guests to enjoy!